As with many of the standing yoga postures, there is much to study in a single pose. I love and respect Triangle Pose as it demands strength, flexibility, stability, and ease all in a single moment, and it teaches you so much about proprioception (the sense of position of the body in space). The above diagram highlights alignment tips that will help keep your back and knees safe in this posture. There are variations and additions to play with this posture which enhance certain aspects of stretch or strength, but I love this basic form to build your foundation.
Here are some of the physical benefits of Triangle Pose:
- It stretches the side waist and lateral hip muscles (gluteus medius, tensor fascia latae).
- It strengthens the core
- It stretches the hamstring and inner thigh muscles of the front leg
- It teaches the skill of stabilizing a joint near the end range of motion
- strengthens external rotators of back leg
- improves proprioception and balance